Win32 Binaries in v1.9.0-rc1

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 30 10:34:09 EST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 8:11 AM, See Hai Ooi <axl419 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear Mr Arlindo,
>
>     I use window version of GrADS for my work.  I was
> very excited with this new build.  Regretably, by
> following your installation instruction in a separate
> directory, GrADS did not appear at all

What do you mean by that? The Graphics window did not appear, or even the
command line did not appear? Can you get it to work in batch mode? Say,

1) Start the windows command line
2) cd C:\PCGrADS\win32  (or to wherever you installed it)
3) grads -b

> even after
> opening the Xming first.

If you start Xming first make sure you set your DISPLAY variable
accordingly. For example,

cd C:\PCGrADS\Xming
Xming -multiwindow :7
set DISPLAY=localhost:7.0

Test it before starting GrADS. Say,

cd C:\PCgRADS\win32
rxvt

> [By the way, I still keep my
> MicroImages X server and GrADS Version 1.8SL9 intact
> in its original installed directory.]

Xming is way better than the Microimages server (which is based on X11R5).
However, if you start the Microimages server and set

set DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
grads

it should work as well. It is better to make sure you have only one X server
running at a time.

> I don't know
> why.  Hope you can help.

I need to know your version of Windows, whether or not you have the Windows
Firewall on, and the kind of anti-virus software. I am very limited as to
the different versions of Windows I have access to, so I need user feedback.
I am hopeful we can work out  these glitches.

              Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu