[GrADS] How to plot two kinds of contours in one map?

Jayakrishnan PR prjayakrishnan at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 21 00:09:02 EST 2008

I think you have to write two ctl files for each data files. Then combine
these two ctls with one gs file. For plotting two contours you have to first
display the climatology contour in the gs. After that in the same gs file
followed by this you display the second contour.  Then save the figure. This
will give the required figure I think.

for eg: the gs file will look something like this
   reinit
   open clim.ctl
    set lat -10 45
    set lon 60 110
    set lev 850
    d clim
    open elevation.ctl
    set lat -10 45
    set lon 60 110
    set lev 850
    d elev
    printim  sample.jpg

Try this and hope this helps.....

On Jan 21, 2008 2:12 AM, Qingfang Dai <qdai at math.ualberta.ca> wrote:

> Dear GrADS Users,
>
> I want to plot two kinds of contour in one map: one kind of contour is
> precipitation climatology contour (solid line) and another one is
> elevation
> contour (broken line). Now I have two data files: one for climatology and
> abother one for elevation. So should I open these two data files in one
> ctl
> file or I should write two seperate ctl files and two seperate gs files? I
> cannot find some useful hints in the GrADS manual. Thanks.
>
> Qingfang

Jayakrishnan.P.R
Junior Research Fellow
Department of Atmospheric Sciences
Cochin University of Science And Technology (CUSAT), Cochin-16
Kerala, India.
Mob: 09895417565