Build Grads with dods 1.9.0-rc1 on Suse 10.3

Christian Marquardt marquardt.christian at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 26 10:34:32 EST 2008

Hello,

I ran into the same problem when trying to build the supplibs (both
2.0.0 and 2.0.1) myself. I eventually found out
that the the build of udunits failed because the top level GNUMakefile does a

   $(MAKE) -e install

for the undunits library (and a few others as well). Removing the -e
helped; it then builds perfectly well with gcc
4.2.1 which is the default compiler on Suse 10.3. As far as I
understand, the -e causes (g)make to overwrite
variables in sub-Makefiles with those from the environment. My guess
(although I haven't tracked that down
completely) is that this requires that all variables set in the
Makefile must also be set correctly in the environment;
and the build may fail if that is not the case.

I have actually removed the -e switches from all install targets and
had no problems in building the supplementary
libraries at all. To be honest, I wonder why the -e switch is there at
all? After all, one relies on automake/autoconf
in the various libraries to sort these settings out. Why would one
want to forcefully overwrite them afterwards? The
GNU make documentation also mentions that the use of -e is not
recommended anyway. May I suggest to take it
out of the top level Makefile?

Christian.