Build Grads with dods 1.9.0-rc1 on Suse 10.3

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Sun Feb 24 11:34:22 EST 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 3:44 AM, Steven Weiss <sweiss at iafrica.com> wrote:

>  Hi Arlindo,
>
> OK, udunits did not compile as you suggested. I get the following error
> below using make make-3.81-66. Any ideas? I'm not that great with
> Makefiles.
>
> Regards
> Steven
>
> linux-3vnb:/home/wavescape/grads-1.9.0-rc1/supplibs/src # make install
> ALLDIRS=
> udunits
> Building install ...
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/wavescape/grads-1.9.0-rc1/supplibs/src'
> make[1]: `udunits.config' is up to date.
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/wavescape/grads-1.9.0-rc1/supplibs/src'
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/wavescape/grads-1.9.0-rc1/supplibs/src'
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/wavescape/grads-1.9.0-rc1
> /supplibs/src/udunit
> s'
> Makefile:605: *** target pattern contains no `%'.  Stop.
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/wavescape/grads-1.9.0-rc1
> /supplibs/src/udunits
> '
> make[1]: *** [udunits.install] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/wavescape/grads-1.9.0-rc1/supplibs/src'
> make: *** [install] Error 2

This is a bit strange. Can you send me the output of

% make --version
% gcc --version
% uname -a

The version of UDUNITS under the supplibs have been slightly patched as to
produce portable GrADS binaries, something we have done for years, so that
it finds "udunits.dat" under GADDIR. I have built the supplibs on a large
number of platforms, and UDUNITS is never a package that gave me grief. So,
I am a bit surprised. My guess is that you have an older version of "make".
I have access to a SuSe box, not sure which version it is. Let's first see
what you've got.

There are 2 kinds of users who builds the supplibs from sources: 1) the
pre-compiled supplibs don't work for them (I'd like to know when this is the
case), and 2) for security reasons or just personal preference, one likes
always to build everything from sources, which is why I tried to document
the build process. Do you include yourself under 1) or 2)? I guess my
question is, have you tried using the pre-compiled i686 supplibs "as is"?
Was there a problem?  Is this an option for you? If so, it could save us
both time figuring out some particularities of SuSe.

  Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu