set gxout grid - skipping or combining fields?

Brian Doty doty at COLA.IGES.ORG
Thu Feb 21 16:29:44 EST 2008

As Jennifer has suggested, if your output grid is set up just right
(offset by a half grid box, and double the spacing of the input grid)
the operation of lterp will result in the output grid being an
average of the four surrounding input grid points.  lterp strictly
does bi-linear interpolation.... Brian

PS: In my experience, linear interpolation is usually fairly safe but
is rarely the "best" interpolation.  What is the "best" interpolation
is highly dependent on the data being used and the kind of analysis
being done.  Data with poorly behaved higher order derivatives (eg,
precipitation) or data that contains discontinuities (eg, any surface
or near-surface variables at or near land/water boundaries) present
particularly difficult interpolation problems.  If at all possible,
don't interpolate!