question about ctl file using wgrib2

Jennifer Adams jma at COLA.IGES.ORG
Thu Feb 21 11:34:44 EST 2008

Grib2 variables that are statistically processed (SP) can be
displayed by GrADS, you just need to put the SP code in the units
field of the variable declaration (i.e. disc,cat,num,sp). The output
from g2ctl does not include the SP (yet -- Wesley is obviously
working on that.) However, there are other ways to find out what the
SP code is -- grib2scan output will tell you:
    ... Parameter: disc,cat,num,sp = 0,1,196,0 ...
and if you run gribmap in verbose mode (with the -v option) then it
will spew the grib codes:
     ... lev1=1,0 var=0,1,196,0 ...

If the grib2 field has a statitsical process indicator, it is
required in the descriptor file, otherwise gribmap will not match the
field and your display will be 'undefined'.

Jennifer

--
Jennifer M. Adams
IGES/COLA