Wgrib2 for FreeBSD available

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 20 08:03:05 EST 2008

On Feb 20, 2008 4:17 AM, Paolo Ciraci <info at paolociraci.it> wrote:

> Thank you very much Arlindo, your FreeBSD binary worked fine (FreeBSD
> 6.1 and 6.3).
>
> Anyway I'd like to "discover" why I can't compile it myself. I've tried
> to use your GNUmakefile in standard wgrib2 directory but it does not
> work.

Did you download the supplibs-2.0.1 and followed instructions in the INSTALL
file?

> Then I tried to replace your sources in wgrib2 directory and it
> does not work (a lot of errors). I think I can't mix the standard wgrib2
> distribution and OGA distribution, correct?

I shouldn't be a problem provided you specify the location of the supplibs
explicitly:

gmake SUPPLIBS=/some/path

The main point is: it does not use the grib2lib, png, etc bundled with the
standard wgrib2 distro.

> Moreover I have gcc version
> 3.4.6 on the FreeBSD 6.1 testing machine, is it a problem?

This should not be a problem. The particular version of gcc becomes more of
an issue when dealing with C++ code (such as OPeNDAP in gradsdap/gradsdods).

BTW, we just completed the first "configure" script for wgrib2. We are still
testing it and will be submitting to Wes for possible adoption.

      Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu