how to change the working directory in grads

Mike Bosilovich mike.bosilovich at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 9 08:00:58 EST 2008

On Feb 7, 2008 1:47 AM, Aftab Khan <aask1970 at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> hello,
>   These are linked questions
>   1.  How to change the working directory from grads?
>  2. In dos window we can go to any directory and from there if grads is
> typed grads does not start. Answer to this question can also be the solution
> for the problem.
>
>   I am using grads 1.8SL11 on Windows XP

I figured something out for this a few years ago, and just happened to look
at it recently, while checking out version 1.9 rc1.

In XP the DOS-like command line interface is cmd.exe, when you find it in
Accessories "Command Prompt", right click and Send to desktop (create
shortcut)

Right click the short cut, to Properties

Under the "Shortcut" tab:

1. Change "Start in" to your working directory. My example: "D:\Working Dir"
(I think it will work with or without the quotes

2. Setting the paths, I figured from some web sites and docs, and don't know
much more, but here is my example:

%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe /K path D:\PCGrADS\win32;D:\Python24;%PATH%

Like Unix/Linux additions to the path, this one puts PCGrADS and Python
binaries in the path in front of the default path.

I also change icon to something in %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll

I've just found that there is a tab complete in the cmd shell, but otherwise
I go to bash or tcsh, chdir to where my scripts are and run grads from
there.

Good Luck!

Mike