segmentation fault using multiple netcf files and xdfopen

Ricardo Hallak hallak at MODEL.IAG.USP.BR
Thu Feb 7 10:03:23 EST 2008

Adam,

it sounds like a RAM memory problem (just gessing). Have you already tried
to test the same steps in another UNIX/LINUX available machine? If it is
possible, I suggest that you try it.

Regards,
Ricardo

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 16:15:05 +1100, Adam Sobel wrote
> I have a set of netcdf files, each is 1 day.  I have a .ctl file so
> I can view a bunch of them together in sequence using xdfopen.  The
> ctl file is below.
>
> If I set t to the whole time range (in this case set t 1 12) I can view
> the variables u or v just fine, e.g. make animations for the whole
> period, looks good.  But then if I do
>
> define rvort=hcurl(u,v)
>
> I get a segmentation fault.
>
> If I set t 1, and then compute rvort as above for just the 1 day,
>  it's fine. If I then step through the days one at a time, it
> crashes at day 4.  If however upon first opening the file I set t 4
> immediately, it works fine.  There is nothing wrong with that netcdf
> file.
>
> If I change the start date in the ctl file, I get crashes at
> different dates - not corresponding to the same data file, nor to
> the same value of t.  It seems unpredictable when it will crash
> except it's always at a fairly small value of t.
>
> The problem isn't with hcurl, other commands that operate on
> multiple times cause the same seg fault - e.g.
>
> define uav=ave(u,t=1,t=10)
>
> Any help much appreciated!  The version of GrADS is v1.9b4, the
> operating system is HP Unix.
>
> thanks
> Adam
>
> DSET A%y4%m2%d20000.nc
> OPTIONS template yrev
> TITLE netCDF file
> UNDEF -999
> XDEF  lon  144 LINEAR 0.00  2.5
> YDEF  lat  73 LINEAR  -90.00  2.5
> ZDEF  lvl  17 LEVELS  1000.00  925.00  850.00  700.00  600.00  500.00
> 400.00  300.00  250.00   200.00  150.00  100.00   70.00  50.00 30.00
> 20.00 10.00
> TDEF time 12  LINEAR 0z25JUL2000  1dy
> VARS   10
> geop_ht=>phi   17  99 x,y,z,t
> air_temp=>ts   17  99 x,y,z,t
> zonal_wnd=>u   17  99 x,y,z,t
> merid_wnd=>v   17  99 x,y,z,t
> mix_rt0=>q   17  99 x,y,z,t
> dewpt_scrn=>td   1  99 x,y,t
> mslp=>ps   1  99 x,y,t
> temp_scrn=>t2m   1  99 x,y,t
> uwnd10m=>u10m   1  99 x,y,t
> vwnd10m=>v10m   1  99 x,y,t
> ENDVARS

> Adam H. Sobel
> Department of Applied Physics and Applied Mathematics
> Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences
> Columbia University
> 500 W. 120th Street, Room 217
> New York, NY 10027 USA
> tel: 212-854-6587
> fax: 212-854-8257
> e-mail: ahs129 at columbia.edu
> web: http://www.columbia.edu/~ahs129/home.html
>
> UNTIL AUGUST 2008, ON SABBATICAL at
> Bureau of Meteorology Research Centre
> GPO Box 1289
> Melbourne VIC 3001
> Australia
> tel: +61-(0)3-9669-4645

Ricardo Hallak

Department of Atmospheric Sciences (DCA)
Institute of Astronomy, Geophysics and Atmospheric Sciences (IAG)
University of São Paulo (USP)
Rua do Matão, 1226 - Cidade Universitária - São Paulo SP 05508-900
Fone.: +55 (11) 3091-2834
Fax: +55 (11) 3091-4714