Processing weather data

Stefan Gofferje gradsusers at GOFFERJE.HOMELINUX.ORG
Wed Feb 6 13:22:31 EST 2008

Hi there,

I am pretty new to GrADS and also new to "professional" processing of
weather data although I'm chasing storms quite for a while.
I shortly moved to Finland and I had to find out that there are quite a
number of chasers but almost no publicly and freely available data sources.
So, I decided to start a website to provide chasers and other weather
enthusiasts or just interested people with all kinds of charts. The base
for my charts are the GFS runs of NOAA which I currently pull via DODS
from the NOMADS servers but thanks to Wesley from NOAA, who pointed me
in the right direction, I will soon start to use GRIB2 files from
another source.
However, although I successfully created my first charst for tmp2m,
pressfc, CAPE, etc. and I wrote some scripts to pull and render data
automatically, there are some things I have in mind which I still can't
do... So if anyone could maybe point me to a site with some more script
examples or has a specific idea about some of my issue, I would be
really grateful!

1.) Putting "H" & "L" to appropiate places in a pressure chart
Is there a way to automatically via a script put "H" & "L" to the
appropiate places in a chart for atmospheric pressure? Like here:
http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn061.png? I guess, I wouldn't have
the time to put it by hand... to 120+ charts every 6h... :)

2.) Visualize windshear
Has anybody a good idea how to visualize and calculate windshear based
on the wind data from 500, 700, 850 & 925hPa?

Tervehdys Suomesta,
Stefan Gofferje

--
Since light travels faster than sound, is that why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak?