V1.8.11 does not open flat file on Vista PC

Philbrick, Herb Herb.Philbrick at ARCELORMITTAL.COM
Wed Feb 6 10:25:29 EST 2008

Hello,

Here is a second and different problem.

I have a Windows Vista Home Premium PC which does run GrADS v1.8.11
win32e, at least to some extent.

GrADS on my Windows Vista PC does not open a binary flat file that I
have created with a Fortran program.

            Neither in scripts nor at the GrADS command prompt.

GrADS on my Windows XP PC successfully opens the same file.

            The file has been used in scripts without problem on the XP
machine.

            The flat file is used as a mask.

Grads, v1.8.11 is configured the same on both PC's.

            C:\program files\pcgrads\win32e ...

            The same .ctl file is used on both PC's.

            Both the .ctl and the binary flat files are in the win32e
sub-directory

I have experimented with -

            Full path / fname    or just    fname   in the DSET line

            Locating the PCGrads directories under c:\  (rather than
c:\program files\pcgrads)

    These do not enable the Vista PC to open the binary flat file.

GrADS on the Vista PC does write out and read back 'fwrite' files just
fine.

For your information here are the output statements in Fortran that
write the binary flat file.

 OPEN(UNIT=8,FILE=flnm,FORM='UNFORMATTED',RECL=rl,
     & ACCESS='DIRECT',ACTION='WRITE')                    ! "&" -
continued line

! flnm, rl are variables

 write (8,rec=1) Mmask
!  the mask grid