Converting from Regrid2 to lterp()

Arlindo da Silva arlindo.dasilva at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 30 23:38:12 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 5:37 PM, Ben Quinn <benquinn at optushome.com.au>wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Well, that's dissapointing! I can't understand why UDF's would have been
> excluded from the new version of GRADS - i'm sure there's a good reason
> but...
>
> I guess i'll be converting Grib2 to Grib1 for now so i can continue using
> your excellent UDF.

There is an extension for GrADS v1.9-rc1 that allows you to read grib-2 data
without the need for converting it to grib-1 first. This is not a native
implementation as in GrADS v2 (which remains the recommended way for working
with grib-2 data), but serves as a stop gap measure for those cases where
you need some feature presented in v1.9 but not yet available in v2.

You can use the classic regrid2() UDF with the v1.9-rc1 release, or better
yet, use the re() extension which reproduces all the functionality of
regrid2() but it is much faster since it does not use disk files to pass
arguments to/from the UDF.

You can find more information in the following links:

   - http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=OpenGrADS_Documentation
   - Extensions:
      - http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=User_Defined_Extensions
      - http://opengrads.org/doc/udxt/grib2/