Plotting Total Cover Cover Variables ?

Piotr Djaków pdjakow at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 22 01:16:45 EDT 2008

2008/8/22 Dizzle Man <selfscience06 at gmail.com>:
> Hello All,
>
> I have downloaded some GFS data from nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov and I am trying to
> plot the Total Cloud Cover Variables that are in the information when I type
> the command "q ctlinfo".  Most of the variables I observe usually gives me a
> display, but when I try to display the Total Cloud Cover variables:
>
> oTCDCclm 0 71,200,0     atmos column Total cloud cover [%]
> oTCDCbcl 0 71,211,0     boundary cloud layer Total cloud cover [%]
> oTCDClcl 0 71,214,0     low cloud level Total cloud cover [%]
> oTCDCmcl 0 71,224,0     mid cloud level Total cloud cover [%]
> oTCDChcl 0 71,234,0     high cloud level Total cloud cover [%]
>
> grads says "Syntax error: not a variable or function name."  I was just
> wondering has anyone ever tried to plot these variables or do anyone know
> how to display these variables?

Well, i've trying.
'd oTCDChcl'
everything is ok for me.
Maybe you creating subset by ftp2u, or g2sub and not create new ctl
and idx files?:

perl g2ctl -verf gfs.$1z.pgrb2f%f2 > gfs_$1z.ctl
/home/pdjakow/GrADS/bin/gribmap -i gfs_$1z.ctl

where $1 is t00,t06,t12 or t18. For GRIB1 files use grib2ctl.pl
instead of g2ctl.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/wesley/g2ctl.html

Regards
Piotr Djakow