templates and fixed forecast times for different runs

Bill Bua Bill.Bua at NOAA.GOV
Tue Aug 19 11:37:10 EDT 2008

Austin --

See below.

Bill

Austin Conaty wrote:

> |Bill,
> I almost understand what you're trying
> to do.  Just a few more questions and
> then hopefully I'll get the full picture.
>
> In your original message, you indicate that you have a bunch of
> files
>
> pgbf06.%y4%m2%d2%h2 (for six-hour forecasts)
> pgbf12.%y4%m2%d2%h2 (for 12-hour forecasts)
> pgbf18.%y4%m2%d2%h2 (for 18-hour forecasts)
> all the way up to
> pgfb180.%y4%m2%d2%h2
Yes, and the values after the "f" in pgbf are forecast lead times.

> So it seems to me you must have a separate .ctl and .idx file
> for each case (06 up to 180).
Yes, I've done that.  I ran into trouble right away with f06 files in
template form so I stopped there.  By trouble, I mean, plan view maps
that look like scrambled eggs rather than anything resembling a real
state variable field.
> It seems also you would need to
> run gribmap on each case and create a uniquely named .idx file
> for each case.
Did that as well.

> Do you have separate .ctl files AND separate .idx files
> for each case?  Have you run gribmap for each case?

For f00 (analysis) worked fine.  For f06, not so much ... see "scrambled
eggs" comment above.
> Have you tried changing the %h2 to %f2 in the template string?
That merely increments the forecast run cycle time up to 800*6 = 4800 at
the end of the forecast initial time.  Doesn't work either,
unfortunately.  I am wondering if there is some option after gribmap I
need to use.