potential cause for "Low Level I/O Error"

Ryo Furue furue at HAWAII.EDU
Wed Apr 23 22:50:22 EDT 2008

Hi Arlindo,

|   You are using a i686 (32 bits) build of v1.9.0-rc1. The other
| versions you are experimenting with, are they 32 or 64 bit
| builds?

I suspect that 32-bit and 64-bit builds mean something different.
(Do they refer to the 32-bit and 64-bit memory addressing modes?)
The version I use (v1.9b4) says, "This is a 32-bit LITTLE ENDIAN
machine version," and I confirm that it handles files
larger than 2 GiB.  (Indeed, I tested Jim's file.)

This page

  http://www.iges.org/grads/whatsnew.html

suggests that the revisions to GrADS to support large files
were completed at 1.9b4.  That means there had been earlier
versions that didn't support large files.

Cheers,
Ryo