g2gdf.pl part2

Mark Sponsler msponsler at COMCAST.NET
Thu Apr 17 19:59:28 EDT 2008

Arlindo,
One other thing I notoiced, somewhat unrelated:
Xming stays active in the toolbar when one quits Grads. So if you fire up another grads session errors start displaying as grads tries to start a second Xming session.
--
Thanks,
Mark

From: Arlindo da Silva <dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU>

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 4:10 PM, Mark Sponsler <msponsler at comcast.net> wrote:

Hi Arlindo,
Yeah - this is a tricky bug.

OK - here's the result of trying to get to model_25.gdf

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

P:\>set PATH=c:\Program Files\PCGrADS19\win32;%PATH%

P:\>gradsc -l
Starting X server under /Xming
Starting gradsc under c:\PROGRA~1\PCGRAD~2\win32 ...
Grid Analysis and Display System (GrADS) Version 1.9.0-rc1
Copyright (c) 1988-2007 by Brian Doty and IGES
Institute for Global Environment and Society (IGES)
GrADS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
See file COPYRIGHT for more information
Config: v1.9.0-rc1 32-bit little-endian readline lats athena printim
Issue 'q config' command for more information.
GX Package Initialization: Size = 11 8.5

ga-> g2_open model_25.gdf
Scanning description file:  model_25.gdf
Open Error:  Can't open description file

ga-> g2_open c:\Program Files\PCGrADS19\data\model_25.gdf
Scanning description file:  c:\Program

This is the reason why I no longer default to "c:\Progran Files" anymore: GrADS does not handle spaces in file names too well. In this case it is taking "c:\Program" as the filename. Since we are trying desperately get something that works first (then make it robust), let's start GrADS from where the data is:

cd c:\Program Files\PCGrADS19\data
grads
ga-> g2_open model_25.gdf
ga-> g2_verb      <---- this is a separate command
ga-> d g2(tmpprs)

(or else refer to the file as "c:\progra~1\pcgrads19\data\model_25.gdf" as in the old ms-dos days.)

  At this point I am trying to sort out if you have a problem generating the gdf/inv pair, or whether for some strange reason grib2.gex cannot read these on your machine. I'll try your gdf/inv's on my windows box and see what happens.

   Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu