g2gdf.pl part2

Mark Sponsler msponsler at COMCAST.NET
Wed Apr 16 10:34:46 EDT 2008

Hi Arlindo,
I installed the new perl and exe code in the win32 directory.  Also downloaded the gfs file you reccomended (saved as gfs.12z). Fired up the cmd prompt, set my path as usual and then tried to execute:
 g2gdf.exe -verf gfs.t12z.

Dialogue box pops up indicating the following Windows error:
G2gdf.exe - Unable to Locate Component
This application has failed to start because perl510.dll was not found.  Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

So then I tried running the perl version.  Here's the result:

>set PATH=c:\Program Files\PCGrADS19\win32;%PATH%

>g2gdf.exe -verf gfs.12z
Error  message dialogue box pops up as previously documented

>g2gdf.pl -verf gfs.12z
cannot find any GRIB-2 file at c:\Program Files\PCGrADS19\win32\g2gdf.pl line 124.

--
Thanks,
Mark

From: Arlindo da Silva <dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Mark,

  Please download g2gdf/g2ctl, .pl and .exe versions, from:

           http://opengrads.org/devel/win32/

  Then grab a gfs forecast, say

 ftp://ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/nccf/com/gfs/prod/gfs.2008041512/gfs.t12z.pgrb2bf06

and try this (.exe version):

g2gdf -verf gfs.t12z.pgrb2bf06

  I'd expect the attached .gdf/.inv files to be produced. Start grads and type

ga-> g2_open gfs.t12z.pgrb2bf06.gdf
ga-> set lev 825
ga-> d g2(tmpprs)

  Does it work for you? The plot is attached. I tried this with Strawberry perl, another native Win32 build:

  http://strawberryperl.com/

  The same should work with ActiveState perl. Let me know if it doesn't, and I'll install it and give it a try. However, the .exe files were created with Strawberry perl and should work as is --- no need for perl to be installed on your machine at all.

  Good Luck,

     Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva