[SPAM] New PyGrADS 1.0.8, works on Windows

黄平 ph0007 at USTC.EDU
Tue Apr 8 02:41:55 EDT 2008

Hi,Arlindo da Silva,

I am a grads user. As your introduction, I am very interested in PyGrADS. But I have never known about Python.
Today I have a try. The installation is easy. There are some question about the PyGrADS.

1. PATH:
The install package didn't add the Python PATH to the OS search PATH automatically.
I added "C:\Python25;C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages;C:\Python25\Scripts" to the end of system's PATH. I don't know whether it is enough.

2. "From your OS the command line enter: % pygrads -h"
The windows command line can just run executable file such as .exe and .com. But I cannot find the executable file about pygrads . The only way is double-click the file "pygrads.py" in "C:\Python25\Scripts", which is the same as clicking the shortcut in windows start manu.

3. How to use other IDEs such as IDLE and Pythonwin with PyGrads?

4. What's the relationship among Python, IPython, PyGrads and Grads?

5. Could you advise a well-suited custom when using PyGrads?

Thanks!

Peter Huang

Dear Pythonistas,

   I just uploaded a new version of PyGrADS to sf.net:

          http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=161773&package_id=256758

    For the first time I am including a win32 installer as well as a win32 superpack for those of you who do not have no Python whatsoever installed on your Windows box and would like to give it a try. You can find more information in the Wiki:

    http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=Python_Interface_to_GrADS#Installation

   This version cleans up some minor API issues and has a more consistent naming of the main classes. It should be pretty much backward compatible with v1.0.7, though.

   Be sure to run the examples and check the plots:

      http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=Python_Interface_to_GrADS#Checking_your_Installation

   We are still working on the Examples page in the Wiki. Let me know if any of you would like to help with the documentation.

   Grads v2 compatibility: like the previous version, only the very basic GaCore class works with GrADS v2. (The test suite pytests first introduce in v1.9 has recently been ported to v2; pytests only requires GaCore.) The ability of python to exchange data with GrADS requires OpenGrADS extensions not yet available in v2.

   A call to volunteers. Here is a sample of some of the features we would like to see implemented in PyGrADS:
Better handling of satellite imagery, with seamless integration of AREA, GeoTiff and some basic KML functionality
Integration of VTK or any other volumetric visualization python package
Neural networks: integrate one of the many available NN python modules so that network design and training could be accomplished using simple and familiar GrADS expressions
Wavelet transforms, including some wavelet based compression algorithms
Comprehensive set of statistical functions for analysis of climate variability: better EOF capabilities, SVD, CCA, POP analysis, kernel density estimates, time series analysis, etc
Some simple client/server implementation through XML-RPC or equivalent protocol
Better Java integration through Jython: implement GaNum functionality through JNumeric, 3D/volumetric visualization capability through visAD, ...
Some GUI demonstrations using wxPython or any other python toolkit. For example, a "GFS Workbench" tool that would bring together GFS forecasts through OPeNDAP, observational data and satellite imagery.
If you have some python experience in any of these areas and would like to lead or get involved in any of these efforts (or anything else that interests you)  just drop me a note.

    Cheers!

        Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva