Background topography maps in GRADS

martynas kazlauskas mkzv at YAHOO.COM
Fri Sep 21 03:14:21 EDT 2007

Hi,

Well, I'm not too sure that it's the right solution,
but if you have a background picture with some
topography, you can print out some meteorological
fields with into a picture file GrADS, and then
combine them into a single image withe the image magic
(www.imagemagic.org). The only thing you have to do is
to make sure that the "topography image" and the
coords  and mproj. that you set in Grads are of the
same region(Well, and some nice settings in the image
magic to make everything look the way you want it).
I've used a simple map in background here for example,

http://www.weatherguide.lt/index.cgi?paramr=eprec

but i did it once with a topography image as well, and
the only reason i didn't use it after all was that the
picture size (in Kb i mean) seemed to be too big for
me;

I can't find that one in my computer now.

And transperancy may be also added with the same
imagemagic utility. There are some nice examples of
that in the imagemagic users forum.

And if speaking about the topography datasets which
can be used to produce images in Grads directly, you
can search this forum with smth. like "navytopo". I
believe there are people here who know more about
using them.

Regards,
Martynas Kazlauskas
www.weatherguide.lt