Background topography maps in GRADS

Kevin M Levey klevey at CUSTOMWEATHER.COM
Thu Sep 20 13:03:32 EDT 2007

THU 20SEP07: 0950PDT

I came across the following website that which uses GRADS to produce really
good looking plots:

http://www.weather365.net/component/option,com_wxmap_args_dynamic/Itemid,117
/lang,en/

1] I was wondering about the background topography maps used for their plots
- is there any documentation on how to do something like this. Is this
merely a topo dataset they are using? If so, where can we get these topo
data sets to import into GrADS?

2] It also looks like from their cloud maps that the clouds are
"transparent" - any ideas how this done or is this merely a clever use of
colors in their legend?

Thanks.

Regards

Kevin M Levey, MSc (University of Cape Town)
Director of Meteorological Operations
CustomWeather, Inc
San Francisco, CA, USA

http://www.1stweather.com