Grads in Vista

John Charlery jcharlery at UWICHILL.EDU.BB
Mon Oct 29 13:31:39 EDT 2007

All thanks to a "Good Samaritan" who chose to write to me directly, I now
have a solution to the problem. Here it goes... If after changing the grads
program compatibility feature to WinXP Grads still does not run, then cygwin
needs to installed on the machine with Vista. As it turns out, only the bin
folder in the cygwin installation appears to be required. If you do not
intend to use cygwin for any other application, then the other sub-folders
of cygwin could be deleted. Secondly, replace the file cygwin1.dll in the
win32e folder of PCGrADS with the later version from the bin folder of
cygwin. You are now ready to go. Apparently, the earlier version of
cygwin1.dll which comes packaged with the win32e installation program of
Grads is not what Vista always wants to use.

Thanks again, Robinson!