Journaling (save commands from interactive session) ** Jennifer please note **

Matthias Munnich munnich at ATMOS.UCLA.EDU
Mon May 21 19:51:44 EDT 2007

Hi Chuck:

OK, so the email I compose in the meantime is relevant.

... Matt

-----------------8<-----------------------------

Hi Bernd,

seems these part of my local changes to GrADS made it into v1.9, so  the
following should work:

(i) GrADS session command log:

$ grads -H myhistory.gs
start grads and log all commands into file myhistory.gs

(ii) Save history to a file:
--------------------------------------

ga-> history myhis.txt

to save the commands in "myhis.txt". If you use the ".gs" extension
all commands are (single) quoted, so to replay your old session you can:

ga-> history mycom.gs
ga-> quit

$ grads
ga-> mycom.gs

 By default history save commands up to the last "quit" command and tags
it with the current date.

(iii) Display history:
-------------------------------

$ga-> history

displays the current history with command numbers

ga-> history 21 37

displays command commands 21 to 37

ga-> history 21 37 myfile.gs

saves commands 21 to 37 to "myfile.gs"

(iv) Re-execute part of command history

ga-> repeat 17

re-execute command 17

ga-> repeat 21 37

re-executes most (*) commands 21 through 37

(v) Commands in hardcopy output:

If you use "ga-> print  myplot.eps" to write an eps file myplot.eps, the
current history will be saved as
  comment in the EPS output, to help you figure out how you produce a
particular plot.

(vi) Shortcuts;
Valid shortcuts are "his" for "history" and "r" for "repeat"

Jennifer,

note that all this does not seem to be yet documented.

... Matt

(*) "History" and "repeat" are not repeated to avoid an infinite command
execution loop.

Email: munnich at atmos.ucla.edu