Plotting Skew-Ts in GrADS-Need Help

Dale E Unruh, Jr dunruh at HAWAII.EDU
Thu Mar 8 12:51:58 EST 2007

Hello all,

I'm trying to do research using hurricane dropsondes and I would like to be able to plot the dropsonde data in a skew-T format with hodographs which I know can be done in GrADS. The problem is the dropsonde data is in what is called an AVAP format, which is basically a text document. From what I gather, GrADS can only read binary files. I'm really not sure how to convert these avaps files I have into a binary format that can be used by GrADS. I do have a program that can process the avaps files and turn them into the following file types: netCDF, Class, CSV, EOL and WMO. I would greatly appreciate any help with this matter. I've attached a sample dropsonde file so you could see what they look like.
Thanks so much!
-Dale Unruh

Graduate Student
University of Hawaii