Reading HDF files with GrADS

John Murray mrmerzz at AOL.COM
Tue Jun 5 11:37:03 EDT 2007

Dear All Grads
Users,

I have been trying to open up an HDF
file using GrADS.  The file does not
conform to COARDS conventions since using ‘sdfopen’ results in an output, “no
discernable X coordinate.”  Using
xdfopen, extra information about the file can be provided in a .ctl file to
direct Grads on how to open the file.
However, with the .hdf file, I do not know the exact name of the variable
that is going to get displayed.
The file is a cylindrical equidistant projection.  At the bottom of the file, the latitude
and longitude formulas are given a certain distance from a set latitude and
longitude.

There are other uncertainties I have
with the .ctl file to describe the HDF file.  Is there any way to represent this
projection?  I have seen options for
PDEF that define polar stereographic and lambert conformal projections, but not
any for cylindrical equidistant.
The HDF files are coded the pixels for raster 8 images.

I have one HDF file attached as well as
my attempt at writing a .ctl file to read in this data.  This file still needs some work, so I
was wondering if anyone has written or knows how to write a .ctl file to read in
HDF data.

John Murray