re-arrange time in line plot

Douglas Clark dbcl at CEH.AC.UK
Tue Jul 31 07:57:08 EDT 2007

Sara,

If you have a single year of data (e.g. 12 monthly values), then I think you might be able to use "modify seasonal" to get the effect you want. See "modify" at http://grads.iges.org/grads/gadoc/gadocindex.html

e.g.
'set t 1 12'
! Define a new variable and make it climatological.
'define new=solar'
'modify new seasonal'
! Set time to start Jan.
'set t 2 13'
'd new'

I have NOT tried this example to check it works! Assuming it works...it's because the "modify" command has todl GrADS to treat the variable as "climatological", meaning the year is essentially ignored, so when t=2-13 the Dec value appears at t=13, as you want.

This trick isn't going to work if you have more than 1 year of data (e.g. 24 monthly values).

Doug

>>> srausche at ICTP.IT 31/07/2007 11:13 >>>
Hello,
I have a netcdf file of climatological averages that go from December to
November instead of January to December. I want to display a time series
of area averaged data in a line plot, but I want the data to go from
January to December. Is there any way of rearranging the data in grads
so that I can do this? I am hoping I don't have to redo the netcdf files.
thanks for any help,
sara

--

Dr. Sara A. Rauscher