Grib2 UV winds

Jennifer Adams jma at COLA.IGES.ORG
Fri Jul 6 07:35:12 EDT 2007

Dear Michael --
With grib1, a record contained a single 2D grid. But with grib2, a
record can contain more then one 2D grid -- which are now referred to
as 'fields'. NCEP is packaging U and V fields into a single record;
other data providers are rumored to be putting ALL fields into a
single grib2 record. It's more economical (fields can share metadata
this way), but it makes grib2 a bit more complex than grib1. I
haven't used the degrib program, but there must be a way to specify
which field you want to extract... You could also try Wesley's wgrib2
program.
Jennifer
p.s. We are working on the direct GrADS interface to grib2. No
promises regarding a time frame, but we hope to have an alpha release
sometime this fall for early adopters to try...

--
Jennifer M. Adams
IGES/COLA
jma at cola.iges.org