grads does not recognize undefineds in netcdf file

Don Hooper hoop at COLORADO.EDU
Tue Aug 7 14:51:12 EDT 2007

Geert Jan van Oldenborgh,

I decided to print out the data value, _FillValue, and valid_max
in hex to see if the bit patterns were somehow different.  I was
surprised at how different the latter data values were.  Then I
saw what neither of us saw initially:  _FillValue and valid_max
lacked the traditional "f" trailing designation after the values,
indicating they were doubles, not floats.  When I remade your test
file with the trailing "f" characters on those two values, life was
good.  GrADS did recognize the latter data values as missing.

-Hoop