lats4d.gs with hybrid/eta levels

Matt Reszka matt at ATMOSP.PHYSICS.UTORONTO.CA
Wed Aug 1 14:09:34 EDT 2007

Dear GrADS users,

First, a big thank you to Arlindo da Silva for writing lats4d.gs.

Now, a question that I have not found in the archive: Can lats4d.gs write
a NetCDF file using hybrid levels and describe the vertical coordinate as
hybrid (alternatively "eta")?

Details: I can convert a GrADS file to a readable NetCDF file, saving the
correct hybrid levels (1, 0.995, 0.985, etc) but ncdump then shows the
information "Pressure level", "plev", "hPa". I can change this to
"Hybrid level", "eta", "" by modifying the lats4d parameter table, and
subsequently ncdump shows the correct information, but the NetCDF file is
no longer readable by gradsnc (claims each variable has 0 levels in the
SDF file).

I've run out of ideas. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Matt Reszka

Environment Canada
ARMA
4905 Dufferin Street