Dummies guide for compiling GrADS?

Patrice Dumas pertusus at FREE.FR
Wed Apr 4 03:33:11 EDT 2007

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 07:39:01PM +0000, Stephanie Mayfield wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've reviewed the website, the user group and some of the files that
> came in the GrADS download and I haven't found what I'm looking for.
> I'd like to see a "Dummies guide" for compiling GrADS.  Does such a
> thing exist?

Not that I know of. But ultimately grads should be available as a
package for all platforms. You can find that at
http://centos.karan.org/
and also all the needed libraries (libdap-devel, hdf-devel,
netcdf-devel, and even libsx-devel). The versions may not be what fits
with the grads sources from cola, see below for more.

You can also use the src.rpm from fedora where everything is packaged.

> I'll give you the specs of what I'm trying to do:
>
> - RHE4
> - grads 1.9b4 ( currently trying the *linuxRHE3*
> <ftp://grads.iges.org/grads/1.9/grads-1.9b4-linuxRHE3.tar.gz> (full)
> version)
> - gcc 3.4.6
>
> I'm trying to get the basic grads to compile for starters.

grads is autoconf automake based (although it has some peculiarities).

>  I plan on
> adding a module, therefore the pre-compiled binaries aren't going to
> help me much.
>
> A few of my questions:
> 1) The download page mentions the separate data file.  This appears to
> be packaged with the full download in the data subdirectory so does
> anything special need to be done there?

No, you are right, the data is also in the grads tarball.

> 2) Are there libraries that need to be installed?  Are these in the
> supplemental files?  Where are they supposed to go?  Which version of
> the supplemental libraries is closest to RHE4?  I'm guessing 1.9b1?

I think the latest supplemental libs should work on RHEL4, since the
binary interface was about the RHEL4 one. Not sure, however.

Alternatively you can install the libraries on your system, and use
a tarball I made with modified configure to detect better installed
libraries, at
http://www.environnement.ens.fr/perso/dumas/fc-srpms/grads-1.9b4.1.tar.gz

--
Pat