ZDEF

Matthias Munnich munnich at ATMOS.UCLA.EDU
Tue Oct 31 13:42:14 EST 2006

Mateus da Silva Teixeira wrote:
> By the way, if it should not be used, why it continues into the on-line
> GrADS documentation? Remember that GrADS have a lot of new users that
> use intensively that documentation and the experienced users use
> that as
> reference.

Can you point to the documentation where a negative increment is used,
so that
Jennifer can correct it?

... Matt

> Jennifer M. Adams escreveu:
>> If you must use 'ZDEF linear', try this:
>> ZDEF 19 linear 100 50
>> OPTIONS zrev
>>
>> What's wrong with the 'ZDEF 19 levels ...' option you wrote out?
>> Why complain when you've got something that works?
>>
>> The bugs regarding bad ZDEF entries were in the older versions that
>> allowed a negative or zero increment. Non-positive grid increments
>> cause problems in a few different places in the code, places you might
>> not necessarily visit during a normal GrADS session.
>>
>> Jennifer
>>
>> On Oct 30, 2006, at 11:41 AM, Mateus da Silva Teixeira wrote:
>>
>>> Dear GrADS users,
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if it is a bug or is a problem with my CTL files, but
>>> always that try to use negative increments in ZDEF, like
>>> ZDEF 19 LINEAR 1000 -50
>>> I get the following error:
>>>
>>> Open Error:  Missing or invalid dimension increment value
>>>  --> The invalid description file record is:
>>>  --> ZDEF 19 LINEAR 1000 -50
>>>
>>>  The data file was not opened.
>>>
>>> But when replace the above ZDEF line by this
>>> ZDEF 19 LEVELS 1000 950 900 850 800 750 700 650
>>>            600 550 500 450 400 350 300 250 200
>>>            150 100
>>>

>>> It works. I'm using the version v1.9b4 32-bit. However, when using
>>> the
>>> version v1.8s11, any error do occur with negative increment in the
>>> CTL file.
>>> Is this a bug of the new version?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Mateus

>>> Novidade no Yahoo! Mail: receba alertas de novas mensagens no seu
>>> celular. Registre seu aparelho agora!
>>> http://br.mobile.yahoo.com/mailalertas/
>>>

>> Jennifer M. Adams
>> IGES/COLA
>> 4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302
>> Beltsville, MD 20705
>> jma at cola.iges.org <mailto:jma at cola.iges.org>

> Você quer respostas para suas perguntas? Ou você sabe muito e quer
> compartilhar seu conhecimento? Experimente o Yahoo! Respostas !
> http://br.answers.yahoo.com/

- --
Matthias Munnich
Univ. of California, Los Angeles
Inst. of Geophysics and Planetary Physics
3845 Slichter Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1567
Phone: +1-310-794 5899
Fax: +1-310-206 3051