install eofgrads

Dr. Parthasarathi Mukhopadhyay mpartha at TROPMET.RES.IN
Fri Oct 27 17:58:03 EDT 2006

Hello Matias,
I was trying to use the EOF in a SGI machine after downloading the source code from your
website.
An error is occurring as follows
ga>eof u
      Writing data to transfer file...
      Executing eof binary ...

d eofudf(ue,19,12,-1, 70,ue_)
      EOFUDF Version 0.152
 Fatal ERROR in eofudf: (Error No.  -1 ).
 Error opening input transfer file
 STOP 1
Operation Error:  Error from eofudf function
  Error ocurred at column 1
DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression
  Expression = eofudf(ue,19,12,-1,70,ue_)
   eof.gs: First call of eofudf returned Error. STOP

It looks to me that eofudf.in file is not getting created. I have given it in udft.txt
file.
can you suggest how the eofudf.in gets created?

Thanks in advance,
Parthasarathi
-------------------------

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 09:23:33 +0800, dongdong wrote
> Hello friends,
>   I have tried to install EOFGRADS tool from
> http://www.atmos.ucla.edu/~munnich/grads/EOF/index.html,but
> GrADS warns me with " 'eofudf' not a variable or
> function name "
>   I think it maybe wrong with UDF. Do you have any
> experience with User Defined Function? Appreciate any
> suggestions,thank you all!
>   my steps are:
> 1. Our machine is SGI,so i download
> eofgrads_sgi.tar.gz and unpack it at my home path
>
> 2. follow suggestions by the web
> chdd at weather:~> pwd
> /weather4/chdd/
> chdd at weather:~> tar -zxvf eofgrads_sgi.tar.gz
> chdd at weather:~> mkdir -p GrADS/GrADSscript
> chdd at weather:~> cp eof.gs GrADS/GrADSscript
> chdd at weather:~> mkdir -p GrADS/UDF
> chdd at weather:~> cp eofudf GrADS/UDF
> chdd at weather:~> vi GrADS/udft
> eofudf 2 6 expr value value value value char
> sequential
> /climate4/chdd/GrADS/UDF/eofudf
> /climate4/chdd/GrADS/UDF/eofudf.out
> /climate4/chdd/GrADS/UDF/eofudf.in
> chdd at weather:~> vi .bash_profile
> export GASCRP=/weather4/chdd/GrADS/GrADSscript/
> export GAUDFT=/weather4/chdd/GrADS/udft
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$HOME/lib
>
> 3. Do eof analysis in GrADS
>    After opening file and setting areas, I signed "eof
> qprs". and it comes with a warning.
> ga-> q file
> File 1 : data.uvq.ERA/q%y4.grb
>   Descriptor: q.ctl
>   Binary: data.uvq.ERA/q%y4.grb
>   Type = Gridded
>   Xsize = 144  Ysize = 73  Zsize = 23  Tsize = 540
>   Number of Variables = 1
>     qprs 23 133 ** Specific humidity kg kg**-1
> ga->
> ga-> q dim
> Default file number is: 1
> X is varying   Lon = 70 to 140   X = 29 to 57
> Y is varying   Lat = 0 to 60   Y = 37 to 61
> Z is fixed     Lev = 1000  Z = 1
> T is varying   Time = 00Z01SEP1957 to 00Z01AUG1958  T
> = 1 to 12
> ga->
> ga-> eof qprs
>       Writing data to transfer file...
>       Executing eof binary ...
>
> Syntax Error:  Invalid Operand
>   'eofudf' not a variable or function name
>   Error ocurred at column 1
> DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression
>   Expression = eofudf(qprs,12,12,-1,70,qprs_)
>    eof.gs: First call of eofudf returned Error. STOP
> ga->
>
> Can you help me ? Thank you in advance.
>
> Best Regards,
> Dongdong
>
> --- "matias at atmosfera.unam.mx"
> <matias at TROPOSFERA.ATMOSFCU.UNAM.MX>дµÀ:
>
> > Hello Dongdong,
> >
> > You can get a tool to compute EOF at
> >

> http://www.atmos.ucla.edu/~munnich/grads/EOF/index.html
> >
> > This was delevoped by Mathias Munich. I hope this
> > helps you.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Matias

------
DR. PARTHASARATHI MUKHOPADHYAY
Scientist B
Forecasting Research Division
Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology
Dr. Homi Bhabha Road
Pashan
Pune-411008
INDIA