Installation and linux!

Patrice Dumas pertusus at FREE.FR
Thu Oct 26 03:42:00 EDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 09:08:17PM -0300, Bob G wrote:
> Not too sure which grads download I would need for FC3, so if anyone has got
> grads running on an FC3 distro and can give me some installation advice,
> that would be much appreciated. It`s worth mentioning, I`m windows person so
> bear with me while I dust of my linux command books!

I packaged grads in fedora core, including fedora core 3 (although I'd warn
you against installing fedora core 3, it is dead, you'd better use fedora
core 6, or centos if you care about stability). So you can install that
grads version with

 yum install grads

(I guess there is also a GUI application to install packages).
This is not exactly the same version that what is on the grads site, since
I removed the file which were licenced under GPL-incompatible licences
(lat and some X stuff), and I couldn't recompile gadods.

All the grads dependencies are packaged in fedora, except gadods, and I
also provide a grads archive with modified configure which is able to link
against external libs, and should work on fedora core. If you want to use
that case, you should first install the dependencies (all on the same line):

 yum install hdf-devel udunits-devel netcdf-devel libdap-devel libnc-dap-devel libsx-devel Xaw3d-devel zlib-devel libjpeg-devel gd-devel ncurses-devel libpng-devel

download the tarball which is at
http://www.environnement.ens.fr/perso/dumas/fc-srpms/grads-1.9b4.1.tar.gz
 wget http://www.environnement.ens.fr/perso/dumas/fc-srpms/grads-1.9b4.1.tar.gz

unpack is and run ./configure --enable-dynsupplib
 tar xzvf grads-1.9b4.1.tar.gz
 cd grads-1.9b4.1/
 ./configure --enable-dyn-supplibs && make && make install

You can provide a --prefix to configure to install below that directory.

Hope it helps.

--
Pat