回复: eofgrads install

Matthias Munnich munnich at ATMOS.UCLA.EDU
Thu Nov 2 13:40:21 EST 2006

Dongdong:

You did

> 4. cp eofudf ~/GrADS/UDF

but specified

> /climate4/chdd/GrADS/UDF/eofudf

in your udft table.  Are ~/GrADS/UDF and
/climate4/chdd/GrADS/UDF/eofudf the same directories? They should.  Is
"export GAUDFT=/weather4/chdd/GrADS/udft" specifying the udft file you
created in ~/GrADS/? It should.

Some background and things to try:

Eof.gs creates a data file eof_in.gad and then calls eofudf.  Grads
itself will produce the eofudf.in file when  eof.gs  calls eofudf  via
"d eofudf(zprs,12,12,-1,70,zprs_)".  Both, "eofudf.in" and eof_in.gad
are needed by eofudf to compute the EOFs.  These files are supposed to
be created in the directory where you started GrADS because this is
where eofudf is looking for them.  Eofudf will then produce a GrADS
descriptor and binary file with the result of the eof analysis as well
as an eofudf.out file.  All these files are created in the current
directory.  Eofudf is passing the 1st EOF back to GrADS in eofudf.out
and  GrADS displays it.   For some reasons GrADS is correctly trying
to but fails execute eofudf reporting that
/climate4/chdd/GrADS/UDF/eofudf does not exist. This produces the
GrADS error line

sh: line 1: /climate4/chdd/GrADS/UDF/eofudf: No such file or directory

The next two lines

Error from eofudf: Error opening transfer file
  File name: eofudf.out

Are GrADS's complain that it didn't find an eofudf.out file to produce
a display.  Of course it couldn't as eofudf was never executed.

If both eof_in.gad and eofudf.in are created in your current
directory, you may try to execute eofudf outside of grads from the
command shell:

$ cd /the/directory/where/you/started/grads
$ /climate4/chdd/GrADS/UDF/eofudf

Please do so and report back the result.

... Matt

dongdong wrote:
> Hi Dr.P.Mukhopadhyay, I tried but it came with the same warning. By
> the way, I wonder where are the created eofudf.in and eof_in.gad
> created after running "eof var" at GrADS ?
>
> These two files are under my work directory, which is $HOME/work/ .
> I also use GrADS at this directory. My UDF is at $HOME/GrADS/UDF/
>
> Your letter appeared to me that these two files should under UDF
> directory. I wonder if this is the problem. What's more, I copy
> eofudf.in to UDF directory too, then  "eof var" at GrADS, It
> doesn't work too. I am sorry if i misunderstand you.
>
> Thank you very much and Wish you all the best!
>
> ----- 原始邮件 ---- 发件人: Dr. P. Mukhopadhyay
<mpartha at TROPMET.RES.IN> 收
> [...]
题: Re:
> eofgrads install
>

> Hello Dr. Dongdong, It appeared to me that when the eofudf.in file
> is getting created it is created with some blank character at the
> end, so the eofudf.out is not getting created. You try one thing.
> You copy eofudf.in* to eofudf.in (in a diffeerent directory). Then
> you remove the eeofudf.in file from UDF directory and bring back
> the copied eofudf.in from other directory to UDF directory and run.
> Possibly it will be OK. I am trying to write once more steps 1. cp
> eofudf.in* ../eofudf.in 2. rm eofudf.in* 3. cp ../eofudf.in . 4.
> run your eofudf Kindly try this and see whether it works.
>
> Parthasarathi ---------------------------------- On Thu, 2 Nov 2006
> 13:39:24 +0800, dongdong wrote
>> Hi friends, Thanks for helping me and bearing my endless bother.
>> But still, I can not do EOF yet. I really very sorry for my
>> stupid. The steps are listed below, Any suggestions will be
>> greatly appreciate! Thank you very very much!
>>
>> 1. "tar -zxvf eofgrads_src.tar.gz"  and get a filefolder named
>> eofgrads_v0155 2. cp eofgrads_v0155/eof.gs  ~/GrADS/GradsScript
>> 3. make executable file "eofudf" I make it by
>> eofgrads_v0155/src/Makefile 4. cp eofudf ~/GrADS/UDF/ 5. make
>> udft file at ~/GrADS/
>>
>> eofudf 2 6 expr value value value value char sequential
>> /climate4/chdd/GrADS/UDF/eofudf eofudf.in eofudf.out ~
>>
>> 6. edit .bash_profile
>>
>> # .bash_profile # Get the aliases and functions if [ -f ~/.bashrc
>> ]; then . ~/.bashrc fi # User specific environment and startup
>> programs PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin export LANG=zh_CN.GBK export PATH
>> export GASCRP=/weather4/chdd/GrADS/GrADSscript/ export
>> GAUDFT=/weather4/chdd/GrADS/udft export
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$HOME/lib unset USERNAME source
>> /opt/intel/bin/ifortvars.sh
>>
>> then I do eof at GrADS
>>
>> ga-> q udft eofudf  Args: 2 6  Exec:
>> /climate4/chdd/GrADS/UDF/eofudf ga-> eof zprs Writing data to
>> transfer file... Executing eofudf binary ... sh: line 1:
>> /climate4/chdd/GrADS/UDF/eofudf: No such file or directory Error
>> from eofudf: Error opening transfer file File name: eofudf.out
>> Operation Error:  Error from eofudf function Error ocurred at
>> column 1 DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression Expression =
>> eofudf(zprs,12,12,-1,70,zprs_) eof.gs: First call of eofudf
>> returned Error. STOP
>>
>> the eof_in.gad and eofudf.in have been created but not the
>> eofudf.out
>>
>> What's wrong with my process? Can you help me? Thanks a lot !!!
>>
>> Best Regards, Dongdong
>>
>> make executable file eofudf copy eofudf to $HOME/GrADS/UDF

>> Mp3·è¿ñËÑ-иèÈȸè¸ßËÙÏÂ
>> http://music.yahoo.com.cn/?source=mail_mailbox_footer
>

> -- Dr. P. Mukhopadhyay Scientist 'B' Forecasting Research Division
> Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology Dr. Homi Bhabha Road
> Pune-411008
>
> Tel: +91 20 25893600 (Office) FAX: +91 20 25893825 Email:

- --
Matthias Munnich
Univ. of California, Los Angeles
Inst. of Geophysics and Planetary Physics
3845 Slichter Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1567
Phone: +1-310-794 5899
Fax: +1-310-206 3051