Double precision & adaptable z dimension

Jim Benedict jim at ATMOS.COLOSTATE.EDU
Thu Jun 29 17:14:36 EDT 2006

I have two questions:

1.  Can GrADS handle double precision numbers (8 byte)?  I have only
had success with integers and floats (reals) as mentioned in the
GrADS documentation... just wanted to confirm that 8-byte doubles
cannot be used.

2.  I write two variables to the same file.  The first variable
(rec=1) lists pressure values, the second (rec=2) heating rates.  I'd
like to be able to plot the heating rate vertical profile using the
listed pressure values as the z dimension.  Can I do this without
listing every pressure value in the control file?  The pressure
values are not uniformly spaced (can't use LINEAR for ZDEF) and are
subject to change (can't use LEVELS for ZDEF).  Also, I have 199
vertical levels, so writing the list out in the control file would be
difficult.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!
- Jim Benedict