computation using ascii data

Charles Seman Charles.Seman at NOAA.GOV
Wed Jun 28 17:01:10 EDT 2006

Suha,

 From the GrADS web page:
http://grads.iges.org/grads/gadoc/script.html#intrinsic
----*|
read (/filename/)|*

This functions reads individual records from file |/filename/|. Repeated
calls must be made to read consecutive records. The result is a string
containing two lines: the first line is the return code, the 2nd line is
the record read from the file. The record may be a maximum of 80
characters. Use the |sublin| function to separate the result. Return
codes are:

      |0 - |ok
      |1 - |open error
      |2 - |end of file
      |8 - |file open for write
      |9 - |I/O error

Files are opened when the first call to read is made for a particular
file name. Files are closed when the execution of the script file
terminates (note that files remain open between function calls, etc).

----

Is the "0" the "return code"?

I hope this helps,
Chuck
*||*

--

Please note that Charles.Seman at noaa.gov should be considered my NOAA
email address, not cjs at gfdl.noaa.gov.

 Charles Seman                                Charles.Seman at noaa.gov
 U.S. Department of Commerce / NOAA / OAR
 Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory         voice: (609) 452-6547
 201 Forrestal Road                              fax: (609) 987-5063
 Princeton, NJ  08540-6649            http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/~cjs/