contour plot for diff latitudinal belts

Arindam Chakraborty arch at IO.MET.FSU.EDU
Fri Jun 23 22:17:34 EDT 2006

hi Suvarna,
        when grads reads a data file, (by default) the different
dimensions are read in this order: x, y, z, variable, t;
Means x (longitude) varies fastest, and then y (latitude) and so on.
(Although there can be variations of this, see
http://grads.iges.org/grads/gadoc/descriptorfile.html#VARS for
'non-standard binaries' for details. But for your control file the
standard rule applies).
        Now, one of your control files has y and z, for which first 8
data values in the file will be read as different latitudes at the
first level, and so on. For another control file, which has z and t,
the first 12 data values will be taken as different levels at the
first latitude (alias time here), and so on for the rest of
the data. This is the reason you get different results for those two
control files.
        How to write the control file is dependent on how you've
written down the data file. It is always a good idea to write the data
in the default order of grads if you plan to use it in grads later on.
In your case, you need to write y as the faster varying dimension
than z in your output data file. Then use the control file which has y
and z.
        Please also set the lat levels as 35, 25, ..., 5, -5, ..., 35
(the centers of the bands of average), that's a better way of
representation.

 ARINDAM CHAKRABORTY
 Department of Meteorology
 Florida State University