Extracting Variables Using Wgrib

Scott Weaver sweaver at ATMOS.UMD.EDU
Fri Jan 27 15:05:23 EST 2006

Hello everyone,

I am trying to extract a subset of variables from a grib file.  For
instance U and V winds.  The original file has pressure level U and V
winds which I am interested in.  These are called UGRDprs and VGRDprs.
The file also has several other types of U and V winds which I am
not interested in.  (UGRD10m, UGRDhbl etc.)  when I scan the grib file
anything that is U or V wind is always referred to as just UGRD and VGRD
and not the more specific variable name.  When I do:

wgrib -s grib_file | egrep "(:UGRD:|:VGRD:)" | wgrib -i -grib \
           grib_file -o new_grib_file

It extracts all types of U and V winds.  My question is:

Is there a way to further refine the selection so that only the pressure
level U and V winds are extracted.  Thank you for your suggestions.

Regards,

Scott

Scott J. Weaver
PhD Candidate
Graduate Research Assistant
Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Science
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
301-785-7201
sweaver at atmos.umd.edu