control file

Frank Colby Frank_Colby at UML.EDU
Fri Jan 13 11:40:47 EST 2006

Marco,

I'm really happy you can run grads.  In the process of helping you, I
have learned some things too.

I just installed the win2e version of grads on one of our xp
workstations.  I took defaults for everything, and then downloaded the
model.ctl, model.gmp and model.grb files, but put them right in the
win2e directory ( c:\program files\pcgrads\win2e ).  I didn't change
anything in the .ctl file, and I was very surprised that when I issued
the "open model.ctl" command in the grads command window, the file
opened!  So here's what I think happened to you :

1)  I think you must have saved the .ctl file initially as an html file,
so the open command kept failing.

2)  When you edited the file and saved it as a text file, windows, in
its infinite wisdom, converted the file name to model.txt (check this --
but I have fought with windows on this before!).  That's why you need to
use the command "open model.txt".

So, if you want to put your files in the win2e directory, you don't have
to get rid of the "^", and don't have to specify the full pathname.

If you put your files anywhere else, you will have to edit the .ctl file
to show the correct path for the data file and the index file, and will
need to issue the open command with the full pathname.  Plus, you will
have to make sure you understand what windows has done with the .ctl
file -- maybe renamed it as a .txt file.

Have a good weekend!

Frank