maximum size of the netcdf files

Eric DeWeaver deweaver at AOS.WISC.EDU
Fri Jan 13 10:48:07 EST 2006

Hi Mihaela,

Grads version 1.8sl11 has a file size limit of 2.1Gb.

Grads version 1.9b4 has support for large files, or at least
it can be built with large file support.  I had lots of trouble
building grads, but I did get the LFS support.  The relevant
output from the configure script is

  checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
  checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... no
  checking for _LARGE_FILES value needed for large files... no
  checking for _LARGEFILE_SOURCE value needed for large files... 1
  checking for fseeko... yes

Of course, there may still be an upper limit, but I haven't hit
it yet.

Best Wishes,

Eric