Shading more than one variable in a plot

Mark Sponsler msponsler at COMCAST.NET
Wed Dec 6 14:07:24 EST 2006

Another option if you're on Grads 1.8 would be to use fgvals to layer up each variable one at a time, being careful to select the order of how the variables are overlayed so that if there's overlap the desired variable ends up on top.  Resolution of the input grib will result in a blocked output, depending on how zoomed in target area is, but it's better than nothing.
--
Thanks,
Mark

From: "Jennifer M. Adams" <jma at COLA.IGES.ORG>
Assuming that areas of snow, rain, and freezing rain do not overlap, you could draw the first field (snow), then print the image to a file in the .png format. Next, you draw the second field (rain), but this time when you print the image to a file, you use the -b option to include your first plot in the background, and also use the -t option so that the areas of no rain would be transparent. Finally, you draw your third field (freezing rain), and print it using the -b option with the 2nd .png image file you created and the -t option with the transparent color belonging to the no-freezing-rain color. When you're done, you should have three layered images, with the middle and top images having a transparent color that allows the bottom and middle images to show through where there is no rain or freezing rain. I think the -t and -b options were added during the development of version 1.9, so this strategy won't work if you're using version 1.8.
Jennifer