Shading more than one variable in a plot

Dan Leins theedge981 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 6 06:09:11 EST 2006

All,

I would like to create an image using GrADS of 3 separate model fields, the
catch is that I would like all of them to be shaded and appear together on
the same image.  So far I've had absolutely no luck getting this to work,
what ends up happening is that all 3 fields get plotted, but the last one
(since it's on "top" of the other fields) trumps all the others and I get an
image of one field, not 3.  Specifically I'm trying to plot categorical
rain/categorical snow/categorical freezing rain, each one a different
color.  In the grib file, each field is either 0 or 1 (0=no rain, 1 = yes
rain).  I thought I could simply set cmin 0.1 for each field, and plot each
field together, but each field overwrites the previous.  It's no wonder I've
never seen both rain and snow in an image since I've started producing
them.  So anyway, does GrADS have the capability of supporting 2 or more
fields shaded on the same display at the same time, or am I trying to do
something beyond the scope of what this program can do?

Thanks!
Dan Leins