vector display on polar stereo grid

Mac MacLeod mmacleod at SCOTIAWEATHER.COM
Tue Dec 5 12:58:34 EST 2006

Hi John

Within a North Polar Sterographic display use this in the script to get wind barbs

*  Set colour of barbs to blue
'set ccolor 11'

* Set output for wind barbs

'set gxout barb'

'd skip(u,6,6);v'

'set gxout contour'

the skip function permits you to thin the barbs.

If you want real vectors then use this section

If you have the true north wind direction as a number and you want to create a vector use this:

'set gxout vector'

'set arrscl 0.5 2 '

'set arrowhead 0.1 '

'display skip(-1*1*sin(psd*3.1414/180),4,4) ; -1*1*cos(psd*3.1414/180) '

'set gxout contour'

Where psd is the direction to 360 degrees of the compass.  Again skip with the ,4,4 thins the display (show every 4th row and 4th column of vectors.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely

Mac

M.A.(Mac) MacLeod