Opening multiple CTL files in one gs script

Cynthia Dettmer dettmer at HAWAII.EDU
Mon Aug 28 17:21:46 EDT 2006

Aloha GrADS users!

I have been playing around with GrADS for a few months now, so I'm still a
novice, and have read previous posts but didn't seem to find a question like
this.  I am using GrADS on a UNIX machine and have been able to create many
useful maps with .nc data.  I used FORTRAN to calculate tropospheric layer
mean wind (TLMW) between 850-200mb, and separated the output into .grd files
for each component and month (ujune, vjune, ujuly, etc).  I have created
several CTL files (one for each month/component), with each file having
either 'u' or 'v' as the variable and want to combine them in a .gs script
to create a seasonal average (July, August, and September for example).  I
have the following in my .gs :

open ujune.ctl

open vjune.ctl

open ujuly.ctl

open vjuly.ctl

etc

The first 2 files open, and will display without any problem using d u;v.2.
The message I get when it just attempts to open the 3rd ctl file (in this
case ujuly) and any files after is:

Data request error: invalid grid coordinates.  World coordinates convert to
non-integer grid coordinates

Variable u.3 dimension=3

Each ctl file works fine alone (and are identical, one is for u values in
June, v values in June, etc), and if I switch the order whichever 2 files
are first open with no problem, those after do not.  I am able to view
monthly data fine, but can't combine it as any files after 2 will not open.
The ctl files are as follows:

dset ujuly.tlmw.66-03.grd

title ahfkahsdf

undef -999

xdef 144 linear 0 2.5

ydef 73 linear -90 2.5

zdef 1 linear 1 1

tdef 38 linear jul1966 12mo

vars 1

u 0 -999 akjfdhlakjdgh

endvars

(the only difference between ctl files is the dset will be
ujune.tlmw.66-03.grd, etc in each ctl file, and the tdef 38 linear jul1966
12mo  would be jun1966, etc)

Any idea how to open more than just these 2 ctl files so I can create an
average of 3 months in one gs script, or why I'm getting that error?  Thanks
so much for your help!

Cindy :-)