Grib data

Wesley Ebisuzaki Wesley.Ebisuzaki at NOAA.GOV
Mon Aug 21 13:45:21 EDT 2006

Scot Lilly wrote:

> My meteorologist and I are looking for two things.
>

> 1.)     We currently use a Linux virtual server to download the GFS
> operational data off of the NOAA http server.  This data seems to be
> somewhat quick in manner, however we find that sometimes it can get
> hung up and even not work to some extent slowing down our time to
> analyze the data.  Are there any known locations and/or methodologies
> to get this data quicker so that we can get the most current model runs.

Using the http server to download specific grib records is about as
efficient as you can get.
For others, the reference is,

   http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/wesley/fast_downloading_grib.html

The problem is that many people want to download the GFS forecasts as
soon as they are available and
do it within a few minutes.  In a quest to get the data quickly as
possible, the users will overload the servers.

Any comments about using bit-torrent for gfs forecast data?

       Wesley Ebisuzaki