ARPEGE: Complex packing?

bernd.becker at METOFFICE.GOV.UK bernd.becker at METOFFICE.GOV.UK
Fri Aug 11 05:30:17 EDT 2006

Christian,

the grid has to be regular to be compatible with grads.
You error message hints to the fact that the grid in your grib file
is reduced gaussian or some other non-regular representation.

Interpolate your field to regular lat lon before you attempt to
massage the data in grads and  all will be better.

Tschuess,
Bernd.

On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 10:14, Christian Grob wrote:
> Dear wise GrADS User,
> for several days I'm desperately trying to process .grb files from the french weather forecasting system Arpege. With wgrib I read the header of the dataset; using grib2ctl.pl I created a descriptor file. The xdef/ydef/zdef did not match, so I changed them according to the values I decoded with wgrib.
> Using gribmap for creating a .idx file shows me: "grib record contains harmonic or complex packing". Trying to open the file in GrADS yields to "entire grid undefined".
> What does that mean? is there a mistake in the ctl file? how can I open the arpege grb-file in Grads?
>
> Thanks for all replies
>
> Christian

> The .ctl file:
>
> dset ^111.grb
> index ^111.grb.idx
> undef 9.999E+20
> title 111.grb
> dtype grib 255
> options yrev
> ydef 111 linear 35.000000 0.2
> xdef 141 linear -11.000000 0.200000
> tdef 1 linear 12Z02aug2006 1mo
> zdef 1 levels 1000
> vars 1
> RHprs  0 52,100,1000  ** Relative humidity [%]
> ENDVARS

> write a mail for getting the tedious .grb file

Bernd Becker   The Monthly Outlook
Met Office  FitzRoy Road  Exeter   Devon EX1 3PB  United Kingdom
Tel.: +44 (0) 1392 884511 Fax: +44 (0)870 900 5050
E-mail:bernd.becker at metoffice.gov.uk -  http://www.metoffice.gov.uk