ARPEGE: Complex packing?

Christian Grob christiangrob at GMX.NET
Fri Aug 11 05:14:17 EDT 2006

Dear wise GrADS User,
for several days I'm desperately trying to process .grb files from the french weather forecasting system Arpege. With wgrib I read the header of the dataset; using grib2ctl.pl I created a descriptor file. The xdef/ydef/zdef did not match, so I changed them according to the values I decoded with wgrib.
Using gribmap for creating a .idx file shows me: "grib record contains harmonic or complex packing". Trying to open the file in GrADS yields to "entire grid undefined".
What does that mean? is there a mistake in the ctl file? how can I open the arpege grb-file in Grads?

Thanks for all replies

Christian

The .ctl file:

dset ^111.grb
index ^111.grb.idx
undef 9.999E+20
title 111.grb
dtype grib 255
options yrev
ydef 111 linear 35.000000 0.2
xdef 141 linear -11.000000 0.200000
tdef 1 linear 12Z02aug2006 1mo
zdef 1 levels 1000
vars 1
RHprs  0 52,100,1000  ** Relative humidity [%]
ENDVARS

write a mail for getting the tedious .grb file