Creating a station data file

David Novak david.novak at NOAA.GOV
Fri Sep 30 09:02:23 EDT 2005

Hello,

I am looking to create a station data file / station descriptor file. I
have read the documentation on this process
(http://grads.iges.org/grads/gadoc/aboutstationdata.html), but was not
sure whether I am creating the station file in the right format. I have
attached what I've done so far (700mbdata.txt). The way I have the
format is each station  gets two lines...the first line gives the
station id, lat/lon, time, nlev, and flag, and the second line is the
upper-level data group (pressure level, u, v). This repeats for all
stations at the same time. On the last station of the time, I set nlev =
0 and then continue with the next time.

Am I doing this right? Does anyone have an example file I could follow?

Also, I was not clear whether I need a station descriptor file for each
station, or 1 station descriptor file for all the stations?

Thanks,
Dave