about hdf/libnc-dap private netcdf.h

Patrice Dumas pertusus at FREE.FR
Tue Sep 27 17:20:19 EDT 2005

Hi,

hdf and libnc-dap ship their own netcdf.h file because (if I'm not wrong)
they reimplement the netcdf api (at least for libnc-dap). When the
netcdf.h include file is taken from the system it could be possible that
a netcdf.h file coming from another package is used. The most common case is
certainly that the netcdf.h from netcdf itself is used instead of the
netcdf.h coming from the hdf or libnc-dap package. Is it an issue? If it
is the other way around (gradsnc uses a netcdf.h coming from hdf or
libnc-dap) is it an issue? And lastly is it problematic if hdf or libnc-dap
use the netcdf.h file from the other package?
Or are the different api versions compatible enough?

I ask this question because netcdf.h detection is currently badly handled
by the configure macros I send to the list (namely if the netcdf netcdf.h
include file isn't detected, the hdf or libnc-dap netcdf.h are not picked up).
So I would like to do something better, but if there are compatibility issues
the cppflags would have to be isolated, if there are no compatibility issue
it is much simpler, if a netcdf.h file has been detected it can be used.

--
Pat