using oacres to contour every value

Dan Leins theedge981 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 15 10:13:07 EDT 2005

I was thinking this might be the problem, so I really tightened the contour
values, but nothing's changed. I don't know if it's really a problem with
the shading as much as it is with the contours. Regardless of how I define
my color curve, oacres will still only contour it out maybe as low as 55
degrees, despite the fact that there's several values of 32 shown on the
map. Is there anything I can do to really focus in on that area of bad data?
 Dan

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dave Allured <dave.allured at noaa.gov>
Date: Sep 14, 2005 7:47 PM
Subject: Re: using oacres to contour every value
To: theedge981 at gmail.com

Dan,

It sounds like you are overloading the available number of colors in the
default grads color palette, which is about 15 IIRC. The trick would be
to space out some of the contour levels towards the outliers, while
keeping the total number of levels at least one less than the number of
available colors.

Try clevs 28 through 80 increment 4, 14 levels total. This should make
rainbow bullseyes for the outliers as you describe them.

--Dave A.
CDC/NOAA/CIRES