suggestion for the autoconf configuration

Patrice Dumas pertusus at FREE.FR
Thu Sep 15 04:43:11 EDT 2005

> Several of us on this list have encountered the elusive "segmentation
> fault" on RedHat Linux builds under varying conditions (usually with
> NETCDF files and the template option). It sounds like you may be on to a
> possible solution to our problems. I suspect library issues are
> something to consider. Please go ahead - I will certainly try out your

I don't know if my comment make sense, but if I'm not wrong updates of the
compiler may break binary compatibility. So when this happens you have to
recompile the libraries with the same compiler you use to build the
program. For the practical case of grads I believe it means that you
should use --enable-dyn-supplibs to use the library provided on your
system that should be binary compatible.

For redhat based systems, it may be possible to rebuild the srpms coming
from fedora extras, athough they haven't been tested/build on releases older
than fedora core 3.
For example in
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/4/SRPMS/
there are srpms for udunits, netcdf, libsx.
opendap 3.4 is still being submitted because it doesn't build on 64 bit
architecture.
I have requested submission of libdap and grads to fedora extras but they
still haven't been reviewed. You can find the srpm in the fedora bugzilla
if you're interested, though.

--
Pat